A simple recipe for perfect gluten free cookies! These almond butter chocolate chip cookies are so delicious, nobody will guess there’s no flour or butter.
Did you try my homemade almond butter last week?! You are going to be so happy if it’s sitting in your refrigerator right now, because boy do I have THE cookie recipe for you! It’s made with (you guessed it) almond butter!
These cookies are truly miraculous, and truly delicious. They have no flour, no oil, no butter, and no gluten at all! They’re made with just almond butter, egg, baking soda, vanilla, brown sugar, and of course chocolate chips. Isn’t that wild?! It’s still crazy to me that these ingredients somehow actually turn into a perfectly chewy and completely addictive cookie that could totally pass as “normal.”
I mean just look at them! Don’t they look like beauties? They are slightly crisp around the edges, and amazingly chewy on the inside (which is the epitome of a perfect cookie if you ask me). The toasty almond butter pairs perfectly with the sweet chocolate chips. The flavor is so spot-on, you would never know you’re eating a healthier, gluten free cookie.
The recipe calls for 1 cup of almond butter, and of course you can use store-bought. Or, you could be all awesome and impressive and make your own almond butter (you just throw almonds in a food processor)! Check out my homemade almond butter recipe. It’s super easy, I promise.
Quick Tip: If you are using my homemade almond butter recipe, it makes 1 ½ cups. So I would double the recipe if you want two batches of cookies (or if you want some leftover almond butter in your fridge for amazing snacking and dipping).
These almond butter chocolate chip cookies are amazing for any occasion, but they are extra super amazing for Passover! I served them to some friends last week and nobody could believe that they are kosher for Passover (and everyone quickly took a second cookie, which is how you know if your recipe is a true winner or not). I am so excited to serve these at the Seder and humbly smile as everyone marvels over how I made Passover cookies taste so amazing. Enjoy!
- 1 cup creamy almond butter (homemade almond butter recipe here)
- ¾ brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the almond butter and sugar, stirring until combined and smooth. If using freshly-made almond butter, let it cool down before cooking so your cookies don’t spread in the oven (yes, it gets hot from the food processor). Add the egg and vanilla extract. Mix until combined and a uniform batter forms.
- Add the baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- To form cookies, roll 1 inch balls of dough with your hands and place on the cookie sheet. The dough may be slightly crumbly and oily, so push each ball of dough together firmly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are starting to brown. The centers will not look done, but they will continue to bake as the cookies cool. After the cookies come out of the oven, I like to press a few more chocolate chips on top of each to make them look extra delicious. Cool on the cookie sheet for as long as you can wait before eating one. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Two Peas and Their Pod’s Flourless Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies